.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A small bit of trauma

This is a pic of Jalen trying to smile after the dentist numbed him today. This is a big deal, for a child that has been so sensitive in the past as to gag when he coughs too hard. He got his teeth cleaned last week and did GREAT. So onto the rotten teeth and some invasive procedures.

Today was supposed to be a pulpotomy and a filling. Turned into a removal as the tooth had absessed. Not fun. He did so amazingly fabulous the entire time....



In fact, he held perfectly still even while saying "ow, ow, ow..that hurts"

They gave him quite a few shots for numbing, because he could still feel things.



Everything went really well until we got to the check out desk. I was starting to pay and heard a moaning sound. I turned around and he had a funny look on his face. I scooped him up, thinking he needed some extra comfort. A belching sound came out and I realized he was starting to gag.

At that point I set him down and asked if he felt sick.
He nods vigorously and just as the nurse is pointing to the bathroom he started puking. He puked twice before they got a trashcan over to us. Jalen is looking rather pale and weak now, I scooped him up and he felt limp and heavy in my arms. Freaked me out pretty bad.

They ushered us back to an empty room where the dentist already had an oxygen tank ready. After a few minutes of oxygen and laying still it seemed to pass. They checked his eyes and pulse, he was fine. We headed home about 10 minutes later.

Other than being completely out of it and tired for about three more hours, he was ok. We snuggled on the couch until evening. Anyone that knows Jalen knows that laying still is not the norm.

We think he had an allergic reaction to the anesthetics. He'll have a spacer put in where the tooth was ('twas a molar) and some more work on March 3rd. For such a sensitive, intense little man he handled everything like a pro. I feel so badly that he has to endure this, but I'm very grateful for insurance right now!

Sierra was so super sweet today. After he started throwing up, she stayed out by the front desk. When she finally walked back, she had big tears in her eyes. She does NOT like seeing her little brother suffer. We were in the room with him for the entire visit, so it was a bit much to see him sick and see everyone worried.

He's been skating around the kitchen and happily wolfing down food, so things are back to normal.

Trevor seems to be having the usual fabulous time staying with Moira in NC right now. They'll be together for Valentine's day.:) I wonder if a person ever gets used to their babies growing up and being gone a lot.

What I really wish today, is that I could talk to my Mom about all of it. She was always so great in a crisis or when you just needed to relate feelings of motherhood. I miss her more than ever.

11 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

Yay Jalen!! I know how hard that was for him so I'm very proud of him. I bet he will start to feel so much better without a yucky tooth. Love you!!

12:31 AM  
Blogger kelli said...

gosh, I bet that was scary. Please give him a hug from us :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I can so relate to wanting to talk to your mom. I have those same feelings at times. Great pots.

Pam

12:14 PM  
Blogger laura said...

ginormous hugs to you jalen (and all the rest of you). that is tough stuff, the dentist.

glad he's feeling better now!!!

1:49 PM  
Blogger LeaAnn said...

Ugh, how scary. Hope he and you are feeling better!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

ya almost get used to kids growing up and being gone a lot, but even 5 yrs after Will first left home, it's kinda surreal to think he actually LIVES somewhere else (even just across the river)

1:40 AM  
Blogger Zenmomma said...

{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you and Jalen and Sierra! I'm glad it all worked out and everyone feels better.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

It always amazes me how children seem to bounce back so nicely. I personally am a terrible patient because novacaine doesn't last for me. I hope his next visit will be a better experience for him. All five of my kiddos are still home and I can't bring myself to think of them not here yet, so I won't ;-)As for missing your mother, I know how you feel. My mama died the day after valentine's 12 years ago now, but I still cry and miss her just as much as I did when she first passed. I wish you sweet memories of "mama hugs".

Dana

5:17 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

What a trooper! Sorry he's having to deal with so much work. We've been dealing with a few cavities here as well, and Sam the man made it through his first filling like a champ, too. He has one more to go next week.

Pretty amazing what these guys are capable of, huh?

4:29 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

I keep opening this up just to stare at Kai Boy. I LOVE his hair long like that and i just want to give him a big SMACKAROO on the cheek!!!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ronnie said...

Hugs to all of you!

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home