.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, December 31, 2007

Quotables

Just heard on television as I'm walking past an episode of Futurama (roughly quoted as it's been more than 10 minutes since I heard it):

Lela: "C'mon, you can't just blame television for ruining kids"
Bender: "yeah, give the schools some credit"

Oh my...sassy, sassy. Dontcha love it?

Then this, from Storypeople:

"Things to know about the future. #1: It doesn't have to look any particular way, but around here, if it doesn't, a lot of people will never speak to you again"

Sounds like some of the talk I hear as I'm out and about or talking to co-workers. Pressure to get into college, pressure to have a certain job, a certain kind of spouse, a life that looks just right. Not a thought as to what the child actually loves. Because if they end up without the little pink house, it might be a negative reflection on the pink house dwelling parent.

Am I sounding cynical? Retail will do that to ya.;)


4 Comments:

Blogger lijhe said...

Ha! Good one. Given the Life in Hell series and zingers like this, I have to wonder if Matt Groening's kids went to school?

1:28 AM  
Blogger kelli said...

I would think the retail world would be hard to be around.

And my neighborhood, sorry you've heard it before but, Tim got it from a neighbor just the other day. Both outside, Tim looks up to wave and the guy looks down. They just don't know what to do with us, different = scary; I do think.

Come on St. Joseph!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Deanne said...

Two GREAT quotes! Thanks for sharing.

I am always annoyed that school doesn't get more blame for "ruining" kids, AND making them overweight by having to sit all day!

The future quote is soooooo true.

Happy New Year to you and your family. May it be full of good health, good times, and lots of creativity! ;)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Thank you for the New Year's wishes. :)
Here's what I think about neighbors; Ppphhhhhhfffft

Ok, in reality, neighbors are folks you may not have much in common with but at least you know they've got your back if you need a cuppa sugar or something. Yk? The way it used to be (or am I remembering with rose colored glasses?)

We had a neighbor bring a plate of cookies over for Christmas. Very nice. I'm pretty sure they think we're nuts but they still act neighborly, which I truly appreciate.

I think I just need to have about 10 acres so I have neighbors but wouldn't know it easily. Nobody to bitch about me building a cob art studio or raising chickens.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home