.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Just fer fun

I'm waaaaayyyy behind on photo developing once again and I really like having visuals with blog entries so I decided to play instead of actually writing about what's been happening. We had the ARGH gathering last weekend which was a lot of fun. You can see some of Steve Cooperman's pics here. So just for fun, I swiped this from Kelli T's blog so I have something to blog about until photos come back.

The idea is to google the answers to the following questions. Google images to be precise.:) Have fun!


1. My age next year: 39





This is a nebula approximately 7,000 light years away that is called Abell 39. It's 6 light years across. Damn that's big! I liked this image better than the Interstate 39 one.:)



2. Place I'd like to travel: Chile




Chile seems a place of extremes. Warm temps, cool temps, beaches, mountains....plus I could catch a boat to the Antarctic, another dream of mine. The Patagonia mountains are breathtaking from the photos. I think it reminds me a bit of my birthplace.

3. Favorite place: Prince William Sound Alaska




The Prince William Sound is a place we visited every summer, at least once. My Grandfather owns a cabin on Busby Island. The above photo is a narrow view of the village of Tatitlek which is situated at the base of mountains, accessible only by water (though it is connected to the mainland) and sits right across the bay from our cabin. I can see the village from the bunk bed, through wavy glass in our cabin tucked at the edge of a northern rain forest on a rocky beach. Bald eagles share the island with us, as well as weasels, frogs, deer, blue herons and an abundance of sea life.

It was magical to me as a child. I never lost that awe. Where else can you fish all day, catch nothing and feel like you've won? Sitting on the water surrounded by mountains, whales, sea lions, fishing boats and watching the glaciers calve is nothing less than amazing. It is a place that is sacred to me. A place I carry with me always.


4. Favorite Object(s): Art Supplies




I wavered on this one. Books are up there, a good hand-made ceramic mug, maybe the quilt made of my Mum's clothing. But no, in the end I really love my art supplies the most.



5. Favorite food: Artichokes. Or is it Nachos? Or chocolate. Oooh, oooh, homemade bread. Hmmmm.....how can I pick just ONE?? Cripes people.



I'm a foodie. Anyone that knows me for five minutes knows that much. But the artichoke wins for it's sheer artfulness.


6. Favorite Animal: Anything in the Falcon family
.





But here's one I grew up observing and respecting. Fierce creatures those.


7. Favorite Color: One? Again? No. How about Blues and Purples.






8. My nickname: Um....Ren.



Yeah, yeah...there were a ton of the usual Ren and Stimpy pics at first glance. I liked this one better. Her name is Ren-chan from a show called Erementar Gerad. I have no idea if it's worth watching, but hey, it's anime!


9. Town I was born in: Fairbanks, Alaska.



I remember shopping downtown with my Mom when I was very small. I can still smell the popcorn in the old Woolworths building and feel the excitement of a new pair of shoes.


I also remember all too well, one of the reasons I will probably never call Alaska "home" again. Nope, not for me. I need more than two seasons and a real summer where you have more than 2.5 months in which to grow things. I do miss the moose in the yard and being able to cross country ski out of your back door. Oh, and those glorious mountains. Sigh.


10. Bad habit I have: Me? Bad habits?
Ah ok.
...just one? I'll go with my habit of trying to finish people's sentences. That one brings up some strange images, and then some punctuation help.


8 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

What a cool blog, I may have to do that one too. I love the Denali Bank sign reading -33, the reason I will never live in Fairbanks again! We haven't had less than 25 degrees here yet but I'd still rather have like, hmmm............Texas weather?!!!

1:58 AM  
Blogger kelli said...

Yay! Another person's fun list to peruse :)

Wow! And Prince William Sound looks amazing. It reminds me of Norway :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Zenmomma said...

Geez I could not live with -33 degrees! I'm glad you played along! I did one too. :o)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Schuyler said...

Your Woolworths sentence, the smell of popcorn and then the sentence about shoes, reminds me of an intro Nanci Griffith does for Love at the Five and Dime on her One Fair Summer Evening cd (I almost typed album, I still think in terms of albums, haven't gotten to mp3's yet...). I'll have to go listen to that.

Not that it is anything about you or your post, but I liked having that connection. I liked having you fall into my Nanci Griffith file cabinet drawer.

8:40 AM  
Blogger laura said...

i love this!!! i think i'll do it too!!! i haven't memed in awhile.

can't wait to see your pix of ARGH. have you seen my flickr page yet...pages and pages of ARGH pix!!!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool to get know you a little better :0) and I agree about the photos- our camera broke, and I'm using pictures from my phone- which are soooo not good enough :0(

12:37 AM  
Blogger samuel said...

Want to do another meme? I tagged you, but you'll have to come see me to lean more.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Noooooo.....
you turkey. Dragging me into another meme. dang.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home