.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, April 03, 2006

More visitors




We took the Snavley's up to Buffalo Mountain for some hiking yesterday. Got a good workout in and got separated from the guys, who went all the way to Tip Top. We had a decent view in spite of some cloudiness.

The Lovejoy's (plus their friend Stuart) got here in late afternoon. Stuart and Ben did the Natchez Trace ride all week (bicycling) and we had them for the night. Sierra and Jalen were SO excited to see Cameron. They got ready by drawing hug buttons on their arms and spraying their hair in many colors.:) Dinnertime was a chaotic feast of Taco Soup, which fed 16 people! What a crew. ~~this photo only shows about half of us~~

Markus led a bike ride this morning. Martin joined them on my bike and decided biking was a pretty cool sport. They all enjoyed the rolling hills and cool sunshine this morning. I may get inspired to get back on that bike again! My quads are groaning at the thought.....

Ben and Kelly got to peruse downtown Jonesborough even though all the shops were closed. They decided it was pretty durn cute, not sure if I can convince them to move here someday. One can hope. There is a certain irony in listening to Steve Lynch comedy while driving down the hill into a quaint town in TN, while churchgoers are walking up the street with Bibles in hand. It was an irony that hit me right between the eyes, a bullet of warped cheer.

Jalen tried his hand at hackeysack. It looked fascinating when Cameron and Stuart played! Duncan was just happy to find some gamers and technology. He was right at home with Trevor in the back room.

After the Lovejoys got back on the road, heading for Columbia (WAH!!) Sierra, Jalen and Calista had some great water play with a new funky hose device that sprays water in all directions. Between "sunbathing" (does it count when you put sunscreen on?) and water fun, they've been outside most of the day.

Markus and I snuck away for a bit this afternoon, to shop at the Lowes garden center. It was really awesome to take our time and really discuss plants, soil and trees without interuption. I got my Semi-dwarf apple tree, it's SO beautiful. He put in a bunch of flowers and shrubs around the front area and I filled in the bed that Mary gave me with brocolli, soapwort, rosemary and basil. I also filled a small bed Markus built for me many years ago (very tiny, says "Ren's Herbs" on the front) with peppermint, spearmint and chives.

As night closed in, a storm moved across the area. We had a short-lived, but brilliant lightning show which we all enjoyed immensely. It's always fun to have some small storms, I do miss the dramatic rain in Pensacola. It was fun watching the kids huddled at dark windows, ooohing and aaahing whenever a streak broke through the darkness.

It is now midnight, Heidi is finishing up with the tinkering of her website and the guys just came up from watching a movie. I can hear the sounds of gaming all around me, while Sierra rests on my bed. It's been a very busy day....busy, with lots of sweet memories (and even an argument or two).

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Dodd said...

-=-Jalen tried his hand at hackeysack-=-

Shouldn't that be "tried his foot at hackeysack"?

I hope that was the Steven Lynch CD I made for Ben. Kirby turned us on to Steven Lynch. And then one thing leads to another and that CD got played in Tennessee on a happy day. Or maybe you had your own CD so never mind :-).

I was writing this while you posted something new and so the post I'm responding to is already archived. Your blog is beautiful, and moves fast!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

You know, I didn't even notice the hand/foot thing until you said that!! How funny.

And yes, it WAS the CD you made for Ben. The "my name is Satan" was playing as we drove down the hill...struck me as incredibly ironic as all the Bible folk were heading into church. We were like "ooh, we better turn it down a bit...make sure the windows are rolled up". HA!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home