.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Friday, March 17, 2006

Testing and real tools

I posted today about a lady I met at work. She's a retired teacher and was intrigued by the idea of unschooling. Eventually, she asked for my contact info. because she wanted to share it with her son and his family. Apparently her little 4y.o. grandson tags along with his Dad (a contractor) and his own tools, because "my Dad needs me today". How cool. One of the listmembers posted a link to this really sweet video about a Dad and son working together.

Testing was another topic that came up at a list this week and Sandra posted this response:

~Wouldn't it be cool if they'd start testing kids for happiness, calm, joy, self esteem, and make parents pull their kids out of school if they were insufficiently at peace? ~

People are often baffled that I don't test my kids, never have. Not one of them have had any kind of achievement or academic test of their knowledge. Why?
I don't want them to see themselves through the lense of a test. I don't want them to think they're less than or better than because of how they compare to other people their own age. I want them to KNOW their own intelligence, their own sense of accomplishment, their own knowledge is good enough. They are capable, brilliant and beautiful. A test can diminish that....I'm not willing to give it a chance.

One day, they will learn about tests. They will practice tests to get into college (if they so choose) and they will be old enough to understand that the test is a hoop to be jumped through and not a reflection of self or worth. I have no doubt that filling out little bubbles to determine one's future will not daunt them nor will it be given more importance than it deserves.
Until then, life is full and rich and testless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home