.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Splinters and art

The weather has been incredible. I'd swear summer was here if I didn't know better! We've been planting and working in the yard a lot this weekend.
Markus had a slight mishap today, while cleaning up a brush pile. A splinter wedged itself deep into his thumb, to the point that we couldn't even see it. There was a definite lump that was about 1/4" long and I thought if we cut the surface skin we could get it. He didn't think that was a good idea, so off we traipsed to the urgent care clinic. Sierra, Jalen and I played on the sidewalk while waiting...all those coughing people made us nervous!

He came back out with a very large mass of bandaging over his thumb and a 1/2" splinter that had been so deeply imbedded, the Doctor had a hard time finding it. They cut him up to get the thing out, so he's on antibiotics (ignored my advice of Echinacea and Goldenseal) and painkillers. I tell you what, when he does something, he does it all the way!

We took the long way home, stopping at Lowes to look at more plants (I'd love to have about $10,000 to spend there), then cruised past some of the different houses we didn't buy. It was so beautiful, I felt like driving over to Boone NC to spend the night. We really don't need to spend money on any trips right now though.

When we got home, Jalen ran back to Trevor and Jared's room, excitedly playing back the details of Daddy's splinter and how they saved it in a "basket" (a jar actually). We are now the proud owners of a splinter worth over $200. Yippee.

I did spend some money on a book I've been wanting for a LONG time; the MAC Deck of Cards is a splendiferous collection of body art, produced by the MAC pro-artists. Really makes me wish I had an airbrush. This book is a visual feast. The models are nude in most of the pics, but you can hardly tell because of the airbrushed art covering their bodies. Way cool! In searching for the book, I came across a fabulous website that sells art books. Assouline has a ton of amazing art books that are really high quality and cutting edge from the looks of it.

There's a book called "Video Game Art" that I'd like to get next. It's the only book I've ever seen that takes the art of video games seriously. Most of the books at the site seemed to center around the art and fashion worlds, but I didn't take long to really explore.

In spite of the splinter adventure, we did get quite a bit done outside.
My "remembrance" tree now has a rose bush, some daffodils (Markus rescued from the vacant lot next to us) and daylilies (rescued from a friends house, before they use RoundUp on an area). Took Sierra biking up in the culd-de-sac and found a door sitting out by the dumpster. We hid it behind the dumpster until Markus can figure out whether it's going to be cheaper to buy a pre-hung door or drag the thing home for Trevor's room project.

The oven is beeping again..this time for Sierra and Jalen's polymer clay projects they just made. Our art corner gets a lot more use when the weather gets warm!! Time to go get the ABC tags made since they're due next week...ack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home