.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, March 13, 2006

"I will sing glory in the lowest.........



.......and I will sing peace, to the people I meet."
That's the Bright Eyes line I can't get out of my head right now. I adore that group. Gutsy, talented, independent and anti-Bush, what could be better?:)

We spent a big chunk of the day meeting with our local homeschooling group, most of that time was spent outdoors in all this amazing sunshine and warm weather we're getting. Markus stayed home to continue outdoor efforts in spite of the damaged thumb.

Later on, we met Diana, Loren and Galen up at their house in Erwin (which is a most amazing little town except for the close mindedness) and drove up into the Cherokee National Forest. We'd planned to get a view up at "Beauty Spot" (on Unaka mountain) but it was closed at the base. We meandered down the mountain to a campground on Rock Creek, complete with a manmade waterhole which the kids promptly began mucking about and splashing in, despite the cold mountain water temps. It's definitely on our list of places to camp next month!

There was a small sand area next to the waterhole. My kids were unimpressed...how could they not be after living near Pensacola Beach? But I just kept thinking "yeah, but where in Pensacola do you have a mountain framing the view?? It was beautiful up there.

Back to work tomorrow...sigh. Photos were taken by Diana.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I've been reading you for a while and only now realized that you work. What kind of work? It is a surpreise to me, since you unschool...

thanks

marta

6:20 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

"I've been reading you for a while and only now realized that you work. What kind of work?"

I'm a makeup artist. I've worked part-time in the past, and balanced it all around my dh's schedule. Right now I'm the full-time working parent while he's home getting his real estate career off the ground. I hope to be back to part-time before long....sigh.

It's work I really love, but I prefer working freelance jobs and for MAC. Unfortunately, MAC has no posititions at this time so I'm at the Lancome counter.

I should probably write an article about the ups and downs of two working parents in an unschooling household! It gets interesting at times.:)

7:03 AM  
Blogger Schuyler said...

I can remember going to Saddle Creek studios when I was a teenager to watch my ex-boyfriend who I so wanted to get back together with and the rest of his band "laying down tracks". It was before it was anything more than a very local record label, if it was a record label at all. And certainly 10 years before Conor Oberst was 14. Cool that, though. My paper route used to include a house on Saddle Creek--and the Beaton drugstore where I used to buy my flavored lip gloss was on Saddle Creek.

Schuyler

9:58 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

You know, I had it in my head that Conor founded Saddle Creek records!:)
After your comment I had to read at Wikipedia. Apparently his brother took it over in '98. Cool. Thanks for mentioning this....love those connections!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_Creek_Records

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ren,
What did you sue to color Seirra's
hair? My seven year old is loving it. :)
Marcy

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ren,
What do you use to color Seirra's
hair? My seven year old is lovin' it. :)
Marcy

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home