.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lunch date


Mary had planned a lunch date with Sierra a while back, so they could have a girls day out. Heidi and Calista ended up joining them yesterday for shopping, taking Sammy to the groomers and lunch out at Appleby's. They met up with me at the Lancome counter and I did the girls makeup before we went to eat. Sierra kept saying "this is the best day EVER!" She loves these special outings.

Jared was feeling cruddy, so I picked up some herbs after work and he seems to be perking up today. It's sunny and warmer this morning, just the kind of day I'd like to be out digging in dirt. I've decided that working full-time is just too dang inconvenient for a dreamer. Money is nice, but dirt digging is nice too....sigh.
I'd really like to be writing and painting more too. I will focus on getting freelance work so I can get back to my laissez faire lifestyle.:) I miss my kids!

I read an article this morning, about a child with a mohawk that got kicked out of school: School Sends Boy with Spiked Hair Home made me feel pretty sad for a child just expressing himself. If the parents want their child to have free expression though, why do they think a school is the place he should be? And why is it that anyone "different" is socially ostracized in schools? I hear so much about homeschoolers and the "S" word (socialization). Is that what schools mean by socialization? Sounds like conformity to me, which has nothing to do with social skills.

I love that my children can be comfortable with who they are and how they express themselves each and every day of their lives. I love that pirate costumes and skull bandanas and color and whatever they love is part of their days without derision or judgement. I love the shine in their eyes that tells me their lives are grand and they are growing. I love all the freedom and joy we experience. I love this radical unschooling life, even with the bumps and bruises we encounter, like any family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home