.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, March 27, 2006

FREAKS!




















We spent the day with our local homeschooling group at the park, mostly outside in the coolish sunshine.:) After adorning Sierra with a dandelion crown, we declared her the "Queen of Dandelions". She began collecting various flowers to make her cousin Calista a crown, who was not present due to feeling a bit under the weather.
We explored an under-road tunnel and walked the creek. They were quite disgusted with all the garbage found in the creek bed. I was excited to see mosquito fish in the creek though, they'll come in handy when I build our water garden this summer.

Near the creek edge, there were some violets growing. Perry and I were discussing wild edibles--something I want to learn more about--so it was neat to find some wee, purple violets. I used to crystalize them and decorate cakes and cookies. They make a wonderful tea-time accompaniment.
Martin didn't get much of a birthday celebration, so after traipsing all over the mall area with today's crew (Sierra, Jalen, Jared and Kevin) with Diana's family, we headed back to Jonesborough. Heidi and Martin went into town while I baked a super-fudgy brownie batch.
When they returned with the needed accoutrements, we assembled our supplies; ice cream, gooey brownies, hot fudge and whip cream in a can.

The kids got whip cream squirts. This quickly degenerated into laughter and showing off (Heidi) with whip cream in the mouth that ended up on the floor.
Jalens much-too-large squirt fell on the floor and he started skating in it! I ran over and grabbed a blob and threw it at his face, it landed right in his ear. He laughed like mad and threw some at me, still skating through the mess on the floor. I swooped him up to rinse him in the tub and as I carried him to the bathroom he's laughing hysterically (as are the rest of the kids) and yelling "WE'RE FREAKS!!!"

Oh yeah buddy...in the very best way.:)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Ren...what a beautiful day you all shared together, it truly melts the heart. How 'bout sending some of those fudgy brownies to Pensacola? :-)

The Dandelion Queen for a Day, I bet that sure made Sierra feel even more special than she already is made to feel by having such a great mom.

Your blog is bookmarked!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish we could have stuck around for the outdoor time. I am learning that there just is not enough free and spontaneous time in my life right now. I am going to have to get me some...

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home