.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Turn off school week


You know all about "turn off tv week" right? How mainstream America seems to think this is a grand idea and everyone thinks it's so positive to limit a child's access to something in yet another coercive manner.

I looked at the points being made and couldn't help but replace the word "tv" with "school". So here ya go:


  • School cuts into family time, harms our children's ability to read and succeed in life, and contributes to unhealthy lifestyles and obesity.
  • Here are just a few of the facts:
    On average, children in the US will spend more time in school, than interacting in their families and community this year.
  • Americans frequently or always let school interfere with family time and true, rich connections with their passions.
  • As Anne Ohman, unschooling advocate says, "Real, natural learning is in the living. It's in the observing, the questioning, the examining, the pondering, the analyzing, the watching, the reading, the DO-ing, the living, the breathing, the loving, the JOY. It's in the joy."


Who Participates?Anyone and everyone. Millions of people all over the world have participated in School-Turnoff Week since it began in 1995. Children and adults, rich and poor - people from every background and all walks of life - take part through schools, churches, or community groups, as families or individuals.

What's So Great about School-Turnoff Week? Turning off school gives us a chance to think, read, create, and do. To connect with our families and engage in our communities. To turn off School and turn on life.

So turn off your school, turn off that schooled mentality and LIVE!! I proclaim next week, school turn-off week. Maybe after a week of living without school, a month or a year or a lifetime of it will seem completely natural.:) But hey, then you'd be an unschooler. Cool!

*Above picture from the St. Louis Live and Learn conference (or "what happens when you get a bunch of free kids together that have unlimited access to tv")

16 Comments:

Blogger samuel said...

What is this school you keep speaking of? And can I wait till Star Trek is over before turning the tv off? And am I extra bad because the one child who is watching Star Trek with me is also simultaneously playing his gameboy?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

That is awesome Ren!! I love it!! So sad that I'm going to be a "school" mom next year. At least he has had his entire life, up til now, without school. It will be interesting to see if he just walks in and says "this is stupid, I think I will go back home" or if he just really likes it. I think it will be the latter, funny enough, but he/we are approaching it totally different than most people so it will be a different experience for him. It's just a tool for him, not an end-all/be-all type of thing.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Glenda said...

I love this post =)

12:20 AM  
Blogger Schuyler said...

Hee Hee, I love it. I want to get involved in such a radical approach, but having never turned school on I can't really turn it off. Sigh, I guess I'll just have to live with that.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Deanne said...

LOL! I LOVE THIS!!! I was just "going on" about this to my kids yesterday, except I was saying we should have "No sitting at desks week" as an example. Tom said, "But then we can't go on the computer." Meanwhile, he was sitting back in a recliner with his legs up, wireless keyboard resting in his lap, and computer on a nearby chair. hahahaha

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I LOVE it!
May I post a link on my blog?
Paige
http://360.yahoo.com/paigehughes1972/

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for putting a smile on my face!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love ya Ren, every time!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one...the kids were laughing at me because I was muttering under my breath at the posters in the library.
We watched TV ALL NIGHT...and guess what? My kids are no more twisted than they were before rotfl. And now, Nemo calls!

3:19 PM  
Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

Absolutely LOVE stuff like this. Kudos. I'm so going to post it with your blog link once I get through the LIFE is Good post. LOVE IT! I'm still grinning!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I love it Ren!!! I have to admit that I didn't know about turn the tv off week, sorry can't do it.
I love turn off school forever, that's what we did.

3:08 PM  
Blogger K. said...

This is brilliant!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

You're extra, extra bad samuel....;)
Gameboy WITH tv is downright sinful.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it was lotsa fun. There are so many truly damaging things in this world, tv just doesn't rank.

7:25 PM  
Blogger piscesgrrl said...

I love this! And I thought it was rather eerie how well it transferred... was just talking to another unschooling mom on the phone, and at 9:35pm she was helping her 7 yr old wash his hair and said she had to go because they wanted to finish his bath so they could watch a movie. How awesome is this unschooling life! Oh, and while I was typing this my 10 yr old ran down the stairs saying, "Mom! You know that show Myth Busters? I just learned the coolest thing...."

10:44 PM  
Blogger marji said...

Right on, right on, Ren!! Make a huge amount of sense! If only the mainstream could wrap it's collective mind around the serious damage that compulsory school causes not just to individuals but to communities and society in general!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Oh, and I meant to add that anyone can post a link to whatever they want in my blog...anytime. I figure it's public domain if I publish it here. :)

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ren,
I love it! So very, very true...
You rock!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home