.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Traaseth time!

Later this year I'll be speaking at a conference that will also have John Taylor Gatto as a featured speaker. I'm really looking forward to meeting one of the writers that helped forge my path into unschooling. As I was poking around the internet last night to find out what he's been up to lately, I discovered that he's been working on a documentary film for some time. It's titled "The Enigma of Public Schools" and sounds like a very blunt and hard-hitting film outlining the problems with mass schooling.

The ReThinking Education conference takes place in Dallas Texas over Labor Day weekend. It will be interesting to speak at a venue that is set up differently than Live and Learn. I'm really looking forward to meeting Barb Lundgren, the inspiration behind the conference.

The Traaseth's got in Thursday afternoon, a bit road-weary but glad to be in Tennessee!:) Most of our time was spent drinking wine (yet again; we found a place that carried the same Rioja Danielle brought) and talking, talking, talking! Kyra and Sierra were so happy to finally be in under the same roof. Those two spend many hours on Skype and World of Warcraft talking to each other. We had planned a visit to Acoustic, but the kids really didn't want our group split up (who wants to go/who doesn't) so we stayed right here while most of the kids swirled in and out of the house, playing games in the dark on the trampoline.

Bleu really got to know their whole family this time and he was commenting on each of them and how intelligent and sweet they were. I just winked and said "you know how cool unschoolers are".

I was a little bit sad about missing the Amy Steinberg house concert last night, but it really wasn't in the cards for us. I'm sure everyone had such an amazing time and I can't wait to hear all about it. I was sending lotsa love over to Columbia, where a lot of my favorite people in the whole world were hanging out.

We're more focused on getting our plans together for the FLT gathering and really looking forward to more time with amazing people. I'm hoping Teri will let me swipe some of her chicken eggs when we stay the night with them. Maybe she won't notice if I sneak into her coop? ;)

Last night, Jalen decided he needed to bake a cake just like his Birthday cake (a dinosaur). So we got the cake done and figured out there was no powdered sugar for icing. He wasn't very happy with me, but a batch of whipping cream saved the day. We had chocolate cake with whipping cream, ice cream and some "Mask of Zorro" to top it all off.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay!! HEE HEEE that was soooo fun!! hee hee i didn't even know that i was on your blog i was just googling MEE i am so soooo very happy!! :-D got to go "kyra TIME!!!"

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home