.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, August 17, 2006

D&D

I'm learning how to play...or how to make a character at least. Good gawd! No wonder my kids are so smart. Creating a D&D character IS rocket science practically. I'm beginning to wonder about my intelligence level. Oh wait, it's 17. Actually, Astrid's intelligence level is 17....and that's pretty good for a level 1 character. About twice the intelligence of the average human. She's got me beat.

Jared came in tonight and gave me big hug. "Thanks for playing with us Mom, it's so cool that you're learning"
I hadn't realized how much it meant to them. Sierra was also really, really excited that I started playing.
"It's really cool to have a parent that actually does this stuff with us" Jared added.

I feel badly that I didn't learn it before!! It's definitely going to be an interesting journey. I'm not as well equipped for this kind of strategy play as my children are.:)

Watched a HILARIOUS video tonight. It's Ricky Gervais reading and explaining the book of Genesis. WARNING: If you're a bible literalist or Christian that will be offended by bible humor, don't watch it. Ok, you've been warned properly...now go watch it!! Swiped it from another unschooling blogger.:)

Sierra and Jared are really excited about MySpace now. I helped them both create accounts and they've been having fun hooking up with friends (mostly unschoolers from the conference and family) and messing with the music and layout.

It's amusing to me that my children (including the teens) are so happy to have me share their interests and network on MySpace. It's cool to have this kind of relationship with them when that was certainly not my teen experience. Unschooling rocks!!

5 Comments:

Blogger kelli said...

Hmm,, I'm thinking we might have to check out D & D,, haven't done that yet. :)

OH,, guess what we were doing last night too? Working on Myspace pages.

Kyra is amazing on the computer. She found a new background.

***Unschooling rocks!**

It sure does. :D

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you've got kids to show you how to play D&D. We want to play here, and no one knows how, so I'm trudging through D&D for Dummies right now.

~Jill

11:02 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

You're much more dedicated than I am!! I'm not sure I could play if I had to read through a manual.:)

I really recommend finding some other D&D players at some point. I think the art of DM'ing needs to be learned through interactive play with other gamers. I bet your local comic shops have some players you could find. Kudos to you for making it happen, it's NOT an easy game to decipher!!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might enjoy Landoverbaptist.org - enough said...

11:18 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

I'm really enjoying the Myspace stuff! I invited a teen onto my space and she REJECTED me! She said it was too weird to have Mom's on there. So glad we have different relationships with our children. I have 7 or 8 teens on myspace friends and counting so phewy on her. Unschoolers Rock!!!!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home