.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, August 07, 2006

Coupla things

We pondered human evolution this week, then stumbled across a really cool story about a family with hypertrichosis (abnormal amounts of hair growth). Researchers believe they possess a rare gene, leftover from our earlier ancestors. They really look bizarre, but what a story! A modern day connection to homo erectis.

On Sunday, Jalen, Sierra and I decided to join up with the local SCA group for fighter practice. It was pretty hot and muggy and as we were waiting for the van to cool off, Jalen says "I am cookin' up like a chicken in a pie!"
He's a true Southerner...they have the most colorful phrases and euphemisms, I swear.
One of my Southern aquaintances was talking about a quirky gal and said "That Christa, she's nuttier than squirrel shit!" Yeah, they've got some good ones down here.

My kids come up with some great questions too...I think I can credit them with a huge chunk of what I've learned in recent years, just from their questioning. I was making a sandwich after I got home from work tonight. Jared comes out and says "I have a question about Siamese Twins. If one of them gets sick, does the other one's body help it?" Wow. For one, I'd never even thought to ask that, for two, I don't even know where to find that info. Google is great, but DANG!
My guess is that it depends on how many organs they share. We'll see.......

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love those colorful Southern phrases; I had a friend from Virginia who said all sorts of such. And at the moment my poor Northern background can only remember: "It's a frog choker of a rain"

~Jill

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got curious about this too, I asked Mom. I figure she's been a RN for 20 years seh's more qualified than me. She says it does indeed depend on how many organs they share. Yeah, there are some interesting sayings down here :0)

Amy Goodyear

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home