.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Spirit Dolls






Here's a couple photos of a few spirit dolls. The smaller ones are "pocket dolls" and fit in the palm of your hand. I'm working on some glow-in-the-dark versions for children.

The white dolls in the above picture, were made in honor of my mother (she died in February of '02). The white material they're wrapped in is from a remnant of the material her wedding dress was made from. I attached a broach and pendant that belonged to her, onto my doll. The other two will be mailed to my sisters shortly and they can attach keepsakes of their choosing.:)

I also posted a picture of the wall mural in my bedroom, under the "First Mural" post from June. If you look closely, you can see Jalen sound asleep, in the lower right hand corner. So sweet.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so very precious. I have a couple of questions...do you buy or make the faces and how did you do the body? I googled and found this site http://ancientones.com/ they are beautiful as well.

Thanks for posting your and Sierra's creations. :-)

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely was drawn back to your site today Ren. Your white spirit dolls that you made in honor of your mother, they are so "at peace". Looking at them warms my heart and the face on all of them is one of comfort and love.

You must love your mother dearly, I'm sure that her spirit glows due to such great devotion from her daughter.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Aw, thanks Sandy! I had a couple of comments on the white ones elsewhere too. I think because I was more emotionally involved in them, they reflect that. I plan to make several more white dolls, in honor of birth/rebirth.

I tagged them tonight and a couple are going to be hard to part with.:) They're ready for the Live and Learn conference where a few of them may find permanent homes.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Zenmomma said...

These are absolutely gorgeous Ren! Wanna trade a Zenmomma mix CD for one maybe, huh? huh? How about something else?

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home