.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Groundhog problems

In a former blog post, I wrote:
"Hopefully, whatever is tearing up my large garden bed will find somewhere else to dig, I'm tired of finding holes each day."

I have discovered the foul beast, or actually Markus has, our furry friend the groundhog has all but destroyed everything I've tried to grow!! Every day that I go out to the garden, more plants are torn up. Yesterday, the green pepper plants were stripped of all their leaves.

I'm beginning to think that groundhog stew should be on our menu. Damn him!! So it looks like I need to learn how to keep the things living in our wildlife habitat from destroying the man-made garden. So far, he has left the tomato plants alone and I've got some really nice green tomatoes on there. Crossing my fingers on that one!

Markus found him digging in the herb bed on more than one occasion. He's the only one up early enough to catch the perpetrator. sigh. I'm going to experiment with cayenne pepper, but I imagine a really great fence is in order...one that goes underground too!

A quick trip into the Dollar Tree tonight proved quite fruitful. I found these small 4x6 frames I could craft onto ribbon and display some of my favorite ATC's. It looks so great on the wall that we're going back for more! It's nice to have them on display, these wee bits of art that bring so much joy.

Sierra and I have been busy with spirit dolls. She plans to keep all of hers, while mine are going up for sale shortly. She keeps making them, thinking she might sell one, but after it's finished she loves it too much to part with it! She'll have plenty of feminine goddess/spirit dolls to keep her company when I'm in Albuquerque.:) They're very sweet.

Jalen had an amazing day today. It's the first day I can remember in a very long time that he hasn't had a single meltdown. He very calmly asked me why I hadn't helped him with something earlier, rather than having the usual screaming melt down. I think he's breaking through some kind of developmental stage....one can hope.
Keeping the Rescue Remedy close by just in case.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are 'spirit dolls'? Would you mind a quick overview and a link? I'm not very creative minded and my daughter would probably love something like this, me too!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping that you would post a few pics of the beautiful spirit dolls. And I love the idea to display the ATCs... thanks :)

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rubber snakes thrown around the garden area keep squirrels and rabbits out, maybe they'd scare the groundhog too. As for him coming from underground, pinwheels make the vibrations of someone walking and have kept the moles away around here. I live in the place where nothing grows though, so maybe they just weren't interested.:( Good luck!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Carlotta said...

Tee hee...and I thought we had it bad with our mole.

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo on the groundhog...I finally have lost my temper with the squirrels and moles in our backyard...I've been patient all summer, but the fact that they've stripped all my corn, eaten upwards of 40 tomatoes as well as the only canteloup that we've had develop, I went yesterday to our hardware store to see what they suggest. $20 and an hour later, our backyard smells like a latrine. If ANYTHING eats here, I'd be surprised. I myself am nauseous from just applying it.

It was tricky too, I didn't realize til about halfway through that the smell was getting stronger. I decided then to look at the ingredients. The employee assured me they were all natural, and oh yes, they are....red pepper, garlic, and rotting eggs. You have to shake the bottle to clear the effluent. sigh.

It has worked, the new neighbor dogs that keep rushing the fence and scaring Bre are shivering on the opposite side of their yard. I haven't seen any squirrels, and the kids are fully plastered in the house, not even the pool being appealing enough to be outside. bwahahaha...my plan to take over the world has started in the backyard!!!!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home