.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Friday, July 21, 2006

Learning

After I got home from work, Trevor and Jared suddenly appeared and helped me clean the kitchen in about 5 minutes. Apparently, Markus had asked them to come help, but I was unaware...it just felt like the clean-team had appeared out of nowhere and swooped down upon the mess. They're very efficient! They claimed that they were in a fabulously great mood from killing Alliance on WOW (they belong to Hord) from a vantage point where nobody could reach them.

I brought a platter of food to the gamers in the basement (we've dubbed them the basement boyz) later on, where they excitedly showed me their evil plans and all how the death toll was rising due to their devious scheme.:)

Jalen was scrolling around on Google Earth and honed in on the Grand Canyon. This started a series of questions about where it was and how deep and can-we-please-look-at-pictures of it sort of stuff. We went from the Grand Canyon to China and Chinese people, then to Eskimo tribes, Brazil, Moscow, a world map ("have I ever been to Stralia Mom?", "no, we haven't been to Australia yet, but we'd like to go"), skyscrapers, big cities and eventually a request to see cities and places closer to us.

When I started showing him places like Boone NC and Grandfather mountain, he was not very impressed. "I don't like little towns, I like big cities" he claims. So we set off in search of skyscrapers. Touched on the twin towers and 9/11, pics of tall buildings from all over the world and then ended at my sisters website. They're always happy to see familiar faces traveling to interesting places.

How on earth do children learn without school? I almost snort out loud when I hear those type of questions! My thought is "how on earth do they learn anything of value IN school??"

While I sat here and blogged just now, Jalen decided to "fix the bed". Sierra joined in and they folded and brushed and straightened until they had the perfect bed (I don't belive in making beds, so this is straight from their sweet hearts). Sierra and Jalen held up a blanket to block my view. "OK Mom, look now"
And in a dramatic voice Sierra announces "Presenting the NEW beautiful bed!!" and they drop the blanket.
Yep, it's beautiful...not sure where they learned to make a bed in this house. Must be some osmosis thing from Markus.

Jalen bathed and dried and tucked his otter (whom he calls a beaver) stuffed toy in bed tonight. A bed out of a tiny blanket and paper sack. He spends a lot of time caring for all his animals. Sierra washed and walked and fed her Nintendogs before bed. The real pets were left for me, after Jalen walked Freebs around on his shoulder for a bit (one of our rattie girls).

He just put my weights back, after showing off how strong he is now. Sierra calls out "how do you spell ________" every so often, as she draws or writes or types at the computer. They both drew pictures on the floor, as we were turning off lights and getting geared towards sleep. I received a wrapped gift from each of them (things that I already owned) and when I went to my bed, Sierra even had jammies laid out for me on my "new, beautiful bed".
There was a card on top that said "Happy Kids Night!"
SO SWEET.

Yeah...not sure how they learn anything at all, poor, sheltered creatures that they are. I've heard over and over again, how television limits creativity. I'm still scratching my head on that one, because these children have unlimited access to movies and tv, but they're some of the most creative, interesting people I've ever met.

Nope, I don't think tv is the culprit. I think it's the regimented, controlled lives most kids lead that limit creative thinking. Here's to freedom!

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

I just love all your unschooling posts! It is really amazing how they learn and how they LOVE to learn when they aren't in force fed schools! And speaking of TV.........Robin and I were laughing because our kids watch a show and the next minute they are acting it out in dramatic play. Limit creativity? Ha!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was surfing the net loking for some ski holidays tignes and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home