.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Videos and teleportation devices

I worked a long day today (lotsa makeup on faces out there) and when I came home Jared had a video of characters from Kingdom Hearts2 doing a techno version of "the hamster dance" on my computer. Whoever mixed it did a great job, it looks like they're really singing the song. Funny stuff!

Something that seems to come up occasionally on the email lists, is brainstorming about fun things to do when you feel "stuck". I found this site called "101 Things To Do This Summer" and found great ideas and links. LOVE the fact that unschoolers don't need to wait for summer though!

Jalen wanted to know how kangaroos kick...so we went to google video naturally! Found this hilarious video of a kangaroo attacking a guy dressed up in an animal suit. Jalen watched it for a while and then said "that is CRAZY" and walked off.

I forgot to blog about Sierra's invention the other night. I came home from work and had an email from LeaAnn in Pensacola which ended with "-sitting here looking at Tori's teleportation device and waiting on Sierra to appear. "
I asked Sierra if she had a teleporation device. She got this funny look on her face and nodded yes, then said "But it didn't WORK!!!!"

She had a very elaborate set of papers, one with numbers, one with a "remote" for dialing in locations and addresses, another one with some kind of dial. It was all very detailed. "We thought it would work like a computer and we could travel that way" she explains.

Sigh....
I love, love, love Tennessee. But I moved my children away from family basically. Sierra and Tori are on the phone night and day, often while Instant Messaging each other at the same time. They are talking right now as a matter of fact. If LeaAnn doesn't move them all up here soon, I may have to provide therapy for the kids.

Thank goodness the boys would rather communicate with Brandon via computer, or I'd need another phone line!!

I just stopped by another blogger's site and found this truly awesome quote:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the universe: Wow — what a ride!”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tori's was made in a laundry basket so she could get in it. She had a battery taped to the side with a spot to sit a small glass tube filled with some kind of liquid on top of it. This was supposed to set the time warp into motion. (shades of Casper the movie and I don't think she has ever watched it) She tried water, tea, and I don't know what else. None of them were magical enough. A keypad was drawn on paper and the tv remote was attached. They are so creative at finding ways to 'play' over the telephone. They even watch shows together when only one of them has the channel. The other one describes it or holds the phone to it or both. I guess I'm just going to have to move there.
LeaAnn (off to work on my fear of heights.)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

I read this to Sierra last night (apparently she knew some of the details of the teleportation machine,but not all) and she said "COOL!!" She was quite impressed with Tori's creativity.

We then had an interesting conversation about why it wouldn't work. She said "But my words and pictures go through the internet to her house, why can't *I*?"

I explained the difference between light energy and solid mass. I also told her that many people believe every cell in our body is just a type of energy and that it IS possible to travel that way (quantum physics) but I'm not sure I'd trust the re-assembly process.:)

She got a funny look on her face and said "OH". Maybe they'll invent the first teleportation device someday. It wouldn't surprise me.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home