.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Jessica's Birthday

We celebrated our friend Jessica's 40th birthday with a campout recently. A surprise campout actually! Her husband Rob wanted to do something extra special so we all collaborated secretly and planned behind her back.:) It wasn't easy. We all get together so frequently now that it's really HARD to keep a secret like that.

But we did it. We got everything set up, thanks to Laura's fabulous organizational skills. Then we waited....while doing some goofing off of course.





SURPRISE!

Jess thought it was a bit strange to see some familiar kids running through the woods when they pulled up. Rob had her convinced he needed to stop and use the bathroom there.




Can't you just see the "Oh my gosh" look on her face?



Some of the gals getting ready to swim.



The rock climbing crew. They loved challenging themselves up this small cliff near the river.





Silas and Jalen take a break on a rock. Two froglets enjoying the sun and water.




They swam so much their muscles ached for a few days afterwards. I love the look on Tyler's face here.




My honey comes down after work to hang out with our motley crew.



The beautiful photo collage Laura made for Jess. Later on we viewed a slideshow that Rob had put together. It showed pics of Jess all throughout her life...the 80's hair was awesome!! Totally tubular. Radical. You know, like so kewl.




Can you say pyromaniacs?



Oh yeah...nothing like some roasting marshmallows, warm fire and good music to top off the day. Except maybe a good beer.


Fine entertainment from the musicians. Above is Heather (who really needs to record her own CD soon!! hint, hint), below the Lost Mountain String Band.


Then the glowsticks.

Another magic gathering with beautiful people. I love making great memories.:)
Happy, happy birthday Jessica. I'm glad you were born and I'm glad to be part of your celebration!

3 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

it WAS awesome, wasn't it? we had a wonderful time too!! my favorite part was when they pulled up and she jumped out and was so surprised, it was the best!!

one of these days i'll get caught up on my blogging and not be weeks and weeks behind. or not! LOL! i'm glad someone posted about the party finally though!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sandra Dodd said...

I love the photos of the kids in the water, and of the fire, and of the flowing lights!

2:17 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

WOW, I am surprised all over again! Thank you for posting the pics, thank you for the party, thank you for being YOU, what great friends!!!! I have not blogged about it b/c I just am so happy about it still, I am not sure how to say it without it coming out cheezy! I love you all and your great kids. I am hit with this gratitude for my kids who without them in my life, I would have never made the friends I have and would not be on this wonderful path.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home