.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Don't play in the streets!!

That's one constant I hear at the lists...
"you can't let kids do whatever they want. They can't just go play in the streets" as if a kid really wants to do something dangerous.

But this is a night of not only playing in the streets, but dancing and meditating and laughing and walking in them as well. Meeting with some of our favorite people is becoming more of a regular thing around here. Laura blogged about it so I'm adding my part here.:)

We met in downtown Johnson City at Nelson art gallery. There were some miniature donkeys that thought the street looked fine too.




Sadie and Sierra found these lovely seed pods,dropping from the tree we sat under in front of the gallery. They looked like tiny boats for Thumbelina sized creatures. Delicate, papery wisps of things they were.



Perusing the art is always inspirational, but the art supplies are even better! I think we spent an hour mostly talking (the clerk was looking at us funny) but we weren't there to buy supplies, were were there gathering inspiration! Duh.



Jess and Laura discuss the finer points of artist chalk. Maybe. I really don't know what they were talking about actually because I was busy trying to get pictures. ;)



Silas (above) and Samuel (below) show off their ability to be monkeys even in the city.




Art is everywhere...but especially in this window. It made me think of some other good friends way up in Corvallis Oregon who run a most magnificent coffee shop called Sunnyside Up.



We stopped this officer to ask about his fab new toy. It has lights and a siren and everything!! Coolness.



On to a bead shop, where they have trays upon trays of loveliness to play with and create your own jewelry. This necklace caught my eye. I think I conned La into making one for me.



Sadie and Sierra check out the Cleopatra style headdresses. These might be good for the masquerade ball at Live and Learn ladies!



Aleah and Tyler get busy right away. I met the owner briefly and Laura pointed out that she was Deanna's friend (another homeschooler we hang out with). Right as I walked out the door for a breather, there was Deanna and family right on the sidewalk. Talk about connections!!



La has a most wonderful way of expressing herself with color. I love the contrast of her complimentary color scheme here. I think it's time to visit her ETSY shop again.




A great band was playing in the street right outside the bead shop and we couldn't resist the funky beat. Laura starts to break it down and pretty soon we all joined in...
right there, under the changing street lights.



Getting funky wid it...




Meditation, Sierra style. Yeah right!




We suddenly realized that Tyler and Rob had set up for the busking they'd planned earlier and we were missing it. So off we went, down the street to find them. We came upon this scene in an archway between buildings. Sweet Tyler and his Dad, serenading the audience with some beautiful violin tunes. His audience? More diverse than you'd expect....



Even for Johnson City...


Death Fucking Metal baby!


There was something a bit ironic, yet wonderful about the scene. They all left tips. Tyler was grinning ear-to-ear by the time we left for Acoustic Coffeehouse.




Ending the night with friends and nachos and drinks and laughter and kid piles. There aren't many nights more magical or perfect than this.




I love you guys!!


This scene is something that has become quite typical around here too...


In fact, I'm heading out the door to go collect today's bounty. It's a bit insane right now. I'll be freezing a bunch today for use in midwinter when I don't want to touch those nasty, waxy, picked-too-early store versions.

My tomatoes are made of nothing but YUM. Just yum. That's all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Zenmomma said...

Looks like so much fun! I think it's kind of cool that we've got all of these little satellites of unschooling community grooving in the streets all over the US.

3:06 PM  
Blogger LeaAnn said...

WoW, those are some lovely tomatoes! I was in Ohio a few weeks back and the tomatoes weren't ripe yet but......I did find some Tennessee tomatoes that were and they were awesome! Not Ohio but close enough. I envy you. The ones I grow here are measly little watered down versions of the good stuff and are gone by the time you all get to harvest.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

Wow! You are getting a lot from your garden. Hopefully that is what I will be getting next year, especially with a greenhouse. That's called the power of positive thinking. I will have a greenhouse next year:)

7:15 PM  
Blogger kelli said...

Awesome! And the violin and guitar watching audience is just pure "excellent"! What a great evening :)

7:55 AM  
Blogger laura said...

oh boy...pictures!!!! thank you for playing blog tag with me.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

wonderful post...makes me want to move closer (hugs)

don't get me started on tomatoes. Six plants and not ONE have we been able to use. Ava and Bre eat them all right off the vine. sigh.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home