.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Music lesson




So tonight we were messing around with the guitar (which is a common thing because Sierra loves playing now) and I showed her the G chord again. I know exactly two chords on guitar and because of that I learned "Down in the Valley" a few years back. It was great entertainment while recovering from the near death experience of birthing Jalen.

I am not a guitar player and I wanted her to see how to strum it, so we got online and found this video. This guy had such cool views on music and how to share with children in a natural way. I thoroughly enjoyed his point of view and figured some other unschoolers would appreciate what he had to say.

That song brings back childhood memories for me, singing with my Mum (though she couldn't sing in tune to save her life). After almost bleeding to death when Jalen was born, I had a road to recovery that involved a lot of rest. I played and sang to my wee babsy boy while resting in bed and it made me feel very connected to life and my children during a very difficult time.

Most recently, we tried to sing and play that song at a gathering Laura hosted for her Scott's birthday. We had some real guitar players that night, who were sweet enough to humor me.:)

So where IS that harmonica? I'm sure it's around here somewhere.....

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Franko said...

Just messing around on the guitar is plenty of fun in itself. I spent the last week playing with Carolyn Winkler at the Mayers' Canadian campout and it was wonderful. But your birth story reminded me of when we had Chloe. We'd spent the previous year-and-a-half singing Marjie to sleep with a collection of repeating songs which Chloe heard in utero. Soon after Chloe was ex utero, she started crying and Ronnie's instant reaction was to sing Rocky Raccoon for her. Everyone there joined in and, sure enough, Chloe quieted.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home