.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I found ELVIS!!


And he's in Asheville North Carolina!! Where else did ya think he'd be?
There are other great things
in Asheville too............


...........like happy teens,


and curious kids,



(more of the happy teens),

cupcake shops with no cupcakes,


little boys with blue, elephant umbrellas,


homeschool Mums trying to convince
other people to move to Asheville,

bearded, dreadlocked gurus (ok,
I have no idea if he has an ounce of wisdom, but if
anyone looks like a modern day Jesus, it's this guy)


artsy, fartsy pizza places,


artsy, fartsy vans,


giants that drop their monopoly pieces
and leave them on street corners (so Asheville's
just plain artsy, fartsy.....yeah).


places to feed your head,


and people with colorful hair having coffee
on a quiet side alley (until some crazy woman
waving a camera asks if she can shoot said hair).


My favorite moment was when we approached a hot dog stand on a street corner because Jalen suddenly had a hankerin' for a hot dog. I noticed the guys sign listed a VEGGIE dog! My first hot dog stand that offered veggie options...cool right? So we order the veggie dog and he asks if we want any veggie chili or organic cheese to go on top. I'm standing there with my jaw on the sidewalk and Jen says "REN, you're in Asheville!"

If you're attending the Live and Learn conference this fall, be sure to check out the Chocolate Fetish and
The Mellow Mushroom.

4 Comments:

Blogger kelli said...

Awww, man it looks so cool down there! We'll be checkin it out when we're down for L & L. :)

Oh, and that teen couple :D, they couldn't be any cuter! So sweet.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

Oh my gosh, I think I am ready to move now. TOTALLY my kinda place!! Trevor and (is it Ariel?) are so cute. She is just adorable! I love the pictures!! Now I am really ready for a visit :)

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Naw...Ariel (more properly called Felix) has been their friend for a long time. Trevor's gf is "george". Yeah, her nickname.:) Or Skittlehead if you prefer.

10:52 PM  
Blogger marji said...

Wow!! I'm ready to move right now!! I understand that there will be, of all things, the nation's first Geodesic dome 'development' in Asheville, which I discovered quite coincidentally. I could definitely see us living in a place where there are veggie hotdog stands, happy teens, artsy-fartsy pizza joints, and boys with blue elephant umbrellas! I can't wait until September!!!!

Love,
Marji

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home