.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, August 21, 2006

The art of blogging

What makes for a really great blog? Not an ok one...but great? For me, it's photos and a style of writing that is heavy on honesty, with a dose of philisophical ponderings and a dash of rawness. I feel like digging deeper (probably should invest in a digital camera at some point too).

Granted, day to day happenings aren't always the most interesting fare, but it probably tells you more about a person than the grand adventures they undertake....though grand adventures have a way of pointing to the bigger dreams and flights of a soul.

I was reading at a really great blog this morning, about parenthood and how it's possible to do so much yet feel like nothing is getting accomplished. I can recognize that as a Western way of thinking, yet it's tentacles reach into my mind regardless. I am a Westerner, as much as I like to embrace certain Eastern philosophies. Getting things accomplished feels good. Tangible things. Things I can sell or speak about or publish or add to my portfolio.

I know that the time I spend with my children is an "accomplishment", an esoteric building block that results in bonding and growth and learning and all the things we hope for as parents. But I can't quantify or label it. Maybe that's why I'm driven to write about it; in order to feel some sense of "accomplishment", as if the moments in and of themselves aren't enough.

~Make another cup of tea. Print out notes for a talk in Albuquerque. Throw some laundry down the stairs as Spongebob's voice follows me down the hall. "Mom, how do you spell SONG?" from the child tweaking her myspace account. "S-O-N-G" I yell from the kitchen. Stack up paper that is strewn across the floor from child that built his own "computer". Close the latch on my makeup kit before a bunch of shit falls out, as it's currently his "printer". Wipe down the table for at least the tenth time today. Milk and cereal this time. Clean Sierra's room. Notice the rat's are smelling rather pungent. Gaming child in backroom asks if we can drive the 17 miles to Rock Creek again. Myspace child asks if we can go to the mall, she NEEDS a dress TODAY. Haul some stuff down to the basement and remember that my art area is all but disappearing under the mess. sigh. Decide to blog about daily crap. Gaming child sets a rat on my shoulder and reminds me that my blogging time is about to end for the moment. Rat climbs onto keyboard, causing a need for editing. Large, teen child wakes up and takes a shower. Hasn't found the eggs and potatoes we saved for him this morning. Remember that I promised to take him for a shave so his mohawk looks right, oh and dye it black again. Look at the notes sprawled across my bed and remember I need to work on speech again. Small man brings eyeshadow in and asks if I want a makeover. Of course. Stop blogging for eyeshadow application.~


It all gets done somehow. Not really sure when or where somedays. My ADD tendencies cause a bizarre skipping around pattern that always lands me back to the activities I need to finish, but never in any order. I think that's why things NEED to be left out. I'll forget what I'm doing if I put anything away.

Two things came in the mail today, that weren't bill or responsibility related. One is a beautiful book that made me tear up in the first pages. The writer is one of those people that reaches to the very core of your being. Her story is of universal appeal to women and issues surrounding birth. I'll be sharing more in upcoming blogs...so stay tuned!! The other mail surprise was the altered tin I traded for, in a recent Imagination Tribe trade. It feels like Christmas all year when you're an artist that trades work with other creative souls. I do love my life so very much.

And what I want to remember from this day? Many things, but especially the intense look of concentration Jalen has when he's applying makeup to my face. The way he pooches out his lips to show me what I need to do when lipgloss goes on. The way he brushes blush all over my face and then says "it looks like you're burnt".
I feel more beautiful already.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I need some inspiration to write, I love reading your blog.

I got lots of stuff swirling in my head just have to figure out how to write them down :)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home