.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Harry Potter party....and more


Here's where we were on release night. Where were you?



Ciara met Madam Trelawney. Our friend Garry (as Mr. Weasley) found Ginny and Mrs. Weasley there (even though he didn't come with them....he was caught with a certain Rita Skeeter)

















We had our fortunes read.









Mad-eye Moody was serious as ever, posing below with that notorious Rita Skeeter (who actually is part of the Garry/Andrea duo.:)










But I dear readers, I went for an ulterior purpose. Oh yes, I enjoyed dressing up and playing the part of the colorful Tonks. But the most serious draw was getting to meet Charles Vess, illustrator of Stardust, written by Neil Gaiman.

I had originally mentioned Mr. Vess at my other blog last year, in connection with Susan Lachman and Amy Steinberg. It's strange how connections keep swirling up from that. I found his art back then and occasionally visited his site to oggle the lovely illustrations.

Didn't make the connection that he was the illustrator of Stardust until that very night, when I purchased my copy of the book in preparation for the artist visit. I took one look at the book and gasped. Yep, it was the same artist and he lives just up the road in Abingdon.

I came home and read Stardust while all the other party goers were probably reading their Harry Potter novels. Traitor that I am. Can't wait for the movie to come out next week. We've even named two of our new kittens "Yvaine" and "Tristran" after the main characters.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ren, Looks like you guys had a FABULOUS TIME!!!

We were at my Father-In-Laws viewing on that night and weren't able to attend any Potter parties. I bought the book the next day before his funeral and boy did The Deathly Hallows help to make a long a difficult trip back home, more bearable.

Glad to see that all is well with you and your crew. Zak and I finished Deathly Hallows within the first few days. Have you guys finished yet? If so, what'd you think? We LOVED it!!!! And...I was right about Snape...to the tee. ;-)

2:35 PM  
Blogger kelli said...

So Cool, Ren! The party and the illustrator. I've read Deathly Hallows, not read Stardust, maybe that'll fill my reading void right now. :)

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you that you made quite an admirable Tonks! Loooove the hair...you go girl!! :-) But, can you make it blue and turn your nose all pig-like?

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh... I love your daughter's hair so much.

Looks like it was such a fun time!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I stumbled across this post and would LOVE to know what brand of hair color you used. I have DARK hair and am planning to go to a Halloween party we were invited to as Tonks. Wondering whether or not I should go whole hog and have my hair professionally dyed purlpe-ish. They would have to bleach it out first.
Thanks for the info
Susan

12:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

or even purple-ish : )

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home