.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Death anniversary

I didn't write on the actual day, but February 4th marked the 4th year since my Mom died. I had been trying to find a certain set of pictures I took on a trip up there in '01, of her and Sierra picking flowers and wandering the garden. Chemo had caused most of her hair to fall out at that point (all but some white peach fuzz) and it was one of those most rare times, when she let me take photos without the wig on.
I loved the truth of those photos. The childlike state of her hair seemed appropriate, as she continued to nourish the earth and spend time amongst her favorite people .....children.

I wrote a poem about that day, based on a picture of a huge, pink peony that Sierra was stuffing her nose into. I wanted to frame the poem and a picture of that day, to honor her memory. I didn't even realize it was the four-year anniversary until my sister posted about it at our family email list. Suddenly it made sense. I had been looking through photos in the garage and crying more than usual that week. Now I knew why.

Come walk in my garden today
I'll pick you a peony
that tickles your nose
We'll walk to the Sunflower house
you'll peek through the stalks
your mirth will spill out
and go twinkling and dancing
and skipping up the path.

The sweet peas will wink and nod
as we pass, hand in hand
feet pressing chocolate
brown earth
Life energy flowing between
and through
and around.

Come walk in my garden today
we'll speak of dreams and
magical things touching
silky rose petals and wondering
at how they unfurl so spendidly.

Long after I am gone, this garden,
this day, this very moment will remain.
Our souls will walk hand in hand
for all eternity....
because
you walked
in my garden today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just very very beautiful Ren.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a touching and beautiful gift to your mom's memory. How beautiful to be able to celebrate her life after her death. My mom passed almost 5 years ago. My favorite memory is sharing a cup of tea and conversation with her. Sometimes I go to the cemetery with a thermos of tea to just talk. Very comforting and peaceful.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

I find cemetery's strangely peaceful. I like the image of you drinking tea with your Mum there. Very sweet.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home