.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Unschooling

This Hathor comic so perfectly demonstrates what many of our days have looked like, I love it! Hathor the Cow Goddess

It's hard to explain to outsiders, how our children play, enjoy life with their families and LEARN all the time. When others are schlepping their kids to school, worrying about homework and grades and checking off the boxes, we're ignoring the "necessity" of school and simply living life.
It must confound people that don't understand.

Here's one of the best summaries of why schooling does not work: The New Theory of Learning
Unschooling simply makes sense!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every child deserves a proper education - this quote is taken from the UNICEF Convention of Children's Rights Document.

No more needs to be said.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Well gee, since this is my blog, I'll decide whether more needs to be said or not thank you.

What is a "proper" education? One that is decided for you or one you choose for yourself? There is not ONE single worthy and real learning experience I've ever had that I didn't choose for myself.

True education stems from interest and desire. I wonder how my schooling prepared me for the computer usage I need today? It didn't. I question anyone that seems to think they know what is best for me. Only I know that. Only my children can be truly in touch with their passions and desires and choose where those will lead.

Children's rights are something that is flung about casually. I am actually living a life that respects their rights.

More needs to be said.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home