.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, December 22, 2005

winter dreaming

The kids have big plans for our almost-an-acre lot come spring. Jared wants two forts built, so we can have softair and paintball wars and each team has their own fort! Sounds like fun to me, but I might be more of a liability than an asset, they'll have to draw straws to see who gets stuck with me.
I have been drawing out wildlife habitats in my mind. We're going to do a pond area, with shallow parts for birds and butterflies to get water, and plans to add on each year until the pond area is fairly large. I'd love to get Koi back there.
Then there's the cob house I want to build, as a small art studio. That one might wait a while, since I really haven't built with cob yet and doubt there are any other cob builders around here. Maybe some experimenting with miniature sizes is in order.
A large, organic garden and composting bin are on the horizon for spring too. It will be interesting on such a sloped lot, I'd love to terrace it all. Then there's bee hives to start, I think two will be plenty to learn on.
I can hear Markus pounding and mucking about downstairs, the building projects are slowly coming along. It's mighty cold out for cutting wood right now, but it's happening anyway.
The kids are excited about Christmas, Jalen and Sierra can hardly stand waiting of course.

They were roller blading around the house last night, Jalen like a wobbly fawn on weak legs. They had music going and kept asking me to spin them around. Laminate flooring has it's uses!

Worked my first shift at MAC on Tuesday....part of me is really glad to be back, but retail is not my favorite way to use creative talent. I'd rather just paint faces than worry about the other details and mad holiday rush. MAC attracts some really unique and artistic people though, it's nice to be in that kind of atmosphere.

Speaking of artistic....my dear, sweet husband bought me a new Canon Rebel this week. He says we aren't doing Christmas presents for each other, then gives me a camera! "It's not a Christmas present, you needed a new camera, that's all"
The sweet twerp.:)
So I have a lot more creative freedom in photography now, my older camera had so many limits. I've really enjoyed playing with it this week, so have the kids! Jalen took a pretty good shot of Sierra and I in downtown Jonesborough the other night. Photography is such a great medium for all ages and abilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home