.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Secrets

How much about our friends do we really know? How much do WE keep buried, afraid to really expose ourselves? Everyone should have a few secrets, that's a given. Everyone needs a safe place to hide.
I've been thinking a lot about authenticity lately. Trying to sort out all my meandering thoughts so that I can write an article on the topic which has led to some interesting conversations. Talking helps me sort through what I am really trying to say. Markus is good at being my sounding board.
Anyway, in thinking about authenticity and how much of it is tied to societal trappings vs. being true to oneself, I started thinking about secrets. Maybe part of being authentic is trusting certain things need to stay within, that some knowledge belongs to you alone.

There is a really cool blog where people write their secrets on a postcard and mail them in; http://postsecret.blogspot.com/
I guess telling your secret anonymously feels really good because they get thousands of entries.
I read there and get chills down my spine, these secrets are so intimate and vulnerable and bold all at once. They've even bound a bunch of them into a book.

An aquaintance of mine has shared some of the really dark parts of her past with me. It makes me wonder how well I know anyone, how many of their secrets deeply affect who they are today and how much of a mask I'm seeing.
All of this has been swirling through my mind with art desires and projects waiting unfinished. Being authentic is a more complicated topic than I previously believed. Where are the delineations between other voices and your own? Does it even matter in the end?

Obviously I believe it does, or I wouldn't spend days thinking about this stuff. More on authenticity later.......I need to learn how to shut off my brain so I can sleep more. sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home