.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Video gaming and S'mores

!-30-05
Jalen woke up asking for "rainbow cereal" and "rollers". I can only guess at the cereal, but we finally figured out that "rollers" are actually fruit roll-ups!
I had to work most of the day. We had planned a living room "campout" for when I got home from work. A stop to Albertsons ensured the supplies for S'mores and such, I finally got home around 6:45. The kids were really excited of course, Jalen kept showing me his "tricks"...kicking his legs up in front of him and hopping, first on both feet and then on one. He looks like such a little wild child when he's hopping around with that long hair flying! He seems to have a difficult time with the transition of my coming home. He gets really intense and demanding, often screaming easily over misunderstandings. It takes a lot of patience and sweetness to help him get through it, something I don't always have enough of after using it up on the cosmetic wearing public. *I* need a transition to home, but he can't wait for me to have it. One of the things I don't like about working. It's really not fair to him at this age.

We lit up a log and spread blankets and pillows all over the living room. The kids roasted their marshmallow over the S'mores maker, which we had to move after a bit because the fire was melting the chocolate. Oops! It was so nice to just relax, talking and cuddling as a family. The boys were describing a new football video game they had and Markus was very interested..being the football fan he is. Eventually the talk turned into a challenge ("yeah, I could kick your butt at that game" Markus brags) and the boys ran downstairs to haul up the Xbox and the game.
Sierra and I were cheering for Markus, since Trevor is usually so good at all of the video games he plays. The boys were really happy to have found a game their Dad actually likes. Most of them are a bit too complicated for our Atari-generation brains.:)
For once, I got tired before everyone else. I laid in bed listening to them happily shout and discuss strategy. Jalen wandered in and out a few times and finally came in and said "I ready go to sleep Mom". We snuggled up and about the time football was wrapping up, Jalen was sound asleep. One of those lovely evenings where we're all making connections and just enjoying our time together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home