.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, January 02, 2006

A New Year




~2006. It sounds so futuristic to my raised-in-the-seventies mind, but here it is, like a stray dog that won't go home, but doesn't really belong.
I don't like resolutions, but I do like reflection...after all, if there is something in your life that shouldn't be there--why wait for a New Year to stop? And if something is worth doing, isn't it worth doing today? I think resolutions are mostly a set-up for failure producing more negative self-images, unfulfilled dreams and self-inflicted suffering. Maybe not.

Rather than set up some list of goals that may or may not happen, I prefer to simply make each day a glorious day, make better choices in each moment.

It's a New Year. A year for hope and joy, fulfillment and trials. Another year sifting through the annals of time has come to pass. Maybe this whole calender thing is a bit melodramatic, after all, the sun rose and set today just like any other day. I don't think the birds at my feeder care that we call this day 2006 instead of 2005. They're just getting seed, like they always do. Not a bad way to live really.

But because I'm human and I live in a country that uses the Gregorian calender, we call this the first day of the New Year. Because I've spent 36 years of a lifetime celebrating our calender's New Year I tend to reflect on what it all means and what I want for the coming year.

I want to travel to new places. I want to eat delicious food and drink good wine. I want to learn new things every day, veiw nature's beauty and see the wonder in every detail. I want to let joy wash over me, taking pleasure in each new day (because heck, I'm not six feet under pushing daisies yet!). I want to capture that lovely shine in my children's eyes, dance with them and connect with all my loved ones more deeply. I want to grow, reaching out to the world and my fellow travelers in this awesome journey called life. I want to find that still pool within my soul and dwell there even in the chaotic moments. I want to play music, hear music and listen closely to nature's music. I want to grow plants in my yard, feeling sun on my back, climb trees and meditate by a pond. I want to laugh often, love deeply, fear less, be silly more and share my gifts with the world.

All these things I want, are what I want for every day and I'm really glad I need no resolution to reach for that which is within me. I am living exactly the live of my choosing, I am where I'm meant to be and all is well.

As I grow and learn and develop as a human being this coming year, my truth can continue to reflect what really matters. Life is but a moment. A pause to the universes eternal march, a whisper of ethereal smoke across the vast deep.

Relationships, love, peace, joy---these are the eternal truths that can be mine each day. A life of passion, a life lived for this very moment, can claim these truths. I wish this for everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home