.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Running away


Well, it finally happened. I had a child run away. After saying there just wouldn't be any reason for a radically unschooled child to run away...it happened.
Sierra packed her bags yesterday morning, took some food and ran away....to the van.:)
I was watching the whole process with interest. She informed me "I'm leaving now" and with her little brother in tow, left the house. I wasn't sure what it was all about, since nothing had happened to anger her that I knew of, but I simply smiled and asked her to call often.

Apparently it was just the idea of trying something new, maybe prompted by a television show. I guess the whole idea is intriguing to her, since she's never had a reason to run away!
Jalen and Sierra set up camp in the van, running into the house every so often for food or bathroom breaks. They spent almost the entire day out there, inviting me to see new things they'd set up, even promising to sleep out there (yeah right!).

I asked her about it later, if she was upset when she informed me she was running away. She giggled and said "No, I just wanted to try it."
Phew.

It was like camping she said, and they vow to do it again soon. I really think we need to build a playhouse or fort! My deprived children have to use the van for a fort. Too funny.

Later, they took the sled in the tub during bathtime, to see if it would float. After Jalen got out, it did indeed float with Sierra on it. She had about 1/4 inch of clearance on either side!

Markus brought home some rocks for my Zen Garden and pond areas, and today on a walk we noticed more good specimens in a neighbors yard. We saw someone outside and asked about taking them, he agreed readily. We hauled two loads home before he could change his mind. Jared and Sierra helped me load them up, checking out all sorts of interesting bugs, (including one huge spider ) that we turned up with each rock.

As I hauled rocks and cut vines out of trees, they "surfed" the back hill on Tonka trucks. It made a decent substitute for sledding...

Tonight, Sierra tested out the sled on our stairs. It went flying into the laundry room loudly, but didn't toss her off. I think we need some deep snow soon, or my kids are going to kill themselves finding alternatives to sledding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home