.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Politics of religion

Once again, I'm forced to look violence in the face. Ignoring the news doesn't make it go away...unfortunately. A friend wrote to me a couple of days ago, deeply disturbed by the recent violence over the Muslim cartoons printed. Not that upheaval and violence over religion is anything new, it's been going on since the beginning of time it seems.

Markus was getting his paperwork filled out for ERA yesterday. Apparently the office manager took it upon herself to share her Baptist views with him...he came home very bothered by their conversation, though he sidestepped it tactfully. Her comment about "I just don't understand those Muslims" really got him. I don't think I could have sidestepped that one very gracefully had I been in his shoes. "Those Muslims", a phrase hanging in the air like one was talking about something distasteful....a cockroach perhaps? It angered me and appalled me....but it really shouldn't. There are more similarities between Christians and Muslims than either camp would like to admit. Their fanatics are both bent on death and destruction, while the core followers adhere to peaceful beliefs and lifestyles.

Any Christian that condemns a Muslim doesn't have the right in my opinion. The Bible condones more violence than any book I've ever read. At least the Q'ran only condones violence against oppressors and warns against ever killing an innocent. The fanatics don't care about that truth, they use their religion to back up whatever actions they deem necessary.

Found a good article on this topic here: Q'ran vs. Bible
They aren't "those Muslims", they are our brothers and sisters. Religion seeks to divide, to separate, but the truth is that we are all human beings, we all live on the same earth, we are all born and we all die. In that journey we share on this earth, we need to seek a better method than religion to define ourselves and one another. We need to see beyond those traditional barriers and see PEOPLE, see reflections of ourselves, the sameness within.

2 Comments:

Blogger WonderSoul said...

One of the things I had to get used to after moving here was the so conservative, religious attitudes. 16 years ago we had to really search to find like minds. At first, it intimidated me. Now I see that it helped me grow as I was slowly able to voice my own opinions. Even after all this time here I am surprised how many times I run into people here who are still so close minded. I still get these incredulous looks tho at least now it doesn't bother me as much! And there is such a better mix now in fareastTN.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

"Now I see that it helped me grow as I was slowly able to voice my own opinions. "

Good point. I feel I am learning (over and over again) how to voice my opinion firmly, but gently...in a way that invites discussion. Not that everyone wants a discussion!:)

I'm pretty comfortable around a very wide range of people and views, but when a person acts intolerant, I have a VERY difficult time with that. I'm intolerant to intolerance.HA!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home