.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Searching for Stacia Tauscher

There is this quote that floats around the internet;
"We worry about what a child will be tomorrow, yet we forget that the
child is already someone today."

It's attributed to a person named "Stacia Tauscher" which nobody can
seem to locate. Several sites label her an "author", yet not one has
a title of any book she wrote. There is no biography to be found, no
birth place, no history of any kind. Only this one famous quote.

Amy, a regular at Anne Ohman's "shine with unschooling" list had a
fascination
with finding this person. Well, I've caught the bug and
have tried every search
known to man.....turning up next to nothing.

There's a possibility that she wrote a book from 1690, and Amy
did find one
other quote by this mystery person:
"A child is a beam of sunlight from the Infinite and Eternal, with
possibilities of virtue and vice - but as yet unstained."

The grammar makes me believe that she is definitely a pre-19th
century writer.
Maybe time has obscured her work, yet the quotes
remain. I need to know who
she was, why she had such trust in
children and what she did in her lifetime.

The search for Stacia Tauscher is on.....write me if you know anything!


21 Comments:

Blogger Tiny Portraits said...

Interesting to find your blog about Stacia; I am using her quote in some promotional material for my children's portrait studio and wanted to write a blurb about her... what a wonderful quote!

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found that quote on a day calendar a few years ago and since I am going to be a teacher it really stuck with me. I've used it two or three times now for class speeches and presentations.

10:21 PM  
Blogger APapac said...

I too love that quote and have seen it used frequently by other home school groups and families, often attributed to "Stacie" instead of Stacia. My immediate reaction upon first reading it was "who is Stacia Tauscher". I have also found additional quotes but little else.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

same here...i am trying to found out who she is too and have had no luck...its sooooo weird!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I join this searchers club?!!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Anyone who has information about her can leave it in comments here OR leave a link to your blog if you want to share something there.:)

I still have nothing. She's quite an elusive figure. I keep hoping some distant relative will stop by and shed some light.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Oh, and the other quote wrongly attributed to her is actually a Lyman Abbott quote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyman_Abbott

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm using her quote for a research paper,it's very good!! :)

11:33 PM  
Blogger Theresa C said...

If anyone finds out who she is Let me know too. I found your blog looking for more about this person.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am using a quote for Stacia Taushcer for a brochure I'm making. It's weird that I can't find any info on her!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow yeah this is a very good quote i never knew she wasn't tracable... until i tried.. ha

7:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Early Citation:
Reader's digest quotable quotes. - 1997, p.57

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Betsy (zen-mama.com) said...

I'm looking for her too. Let me know what you find. I'll come back and let you know if I find anything.

Love you blog by the way!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacia might actually be/have been a man. This name has been used in my husband's family for several men, and I've learned of others.

Don't think it will be useful to help find him/her. Just thought I'd bring it up.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacia may have been a nickname for Anastasia, which is Romania... as is Tauscher. There are references to an Anastasia Tauscher (1777) who immigrated from Romania to Oregon with her husband Wenzel.

Hope this helps,
DK

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Linda Donan said...

I have read her name spelled Stada. I think on the website for supporting reading alligned with the Click for breastcancer group.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she has no wikipedia page, sadly today this means she does not exist and will never be found

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the person you are searching for. My name is now Stacia Demler. I have not published any books. This quote was published in Readers Digest about 16 years ago. I have heard that my quote has been used several times. I'm seeing it all over the internet. I'm flattered.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She lives in Crestview Fl her real last name is Demler. Tauscher was her name from her first marriage. I'm eating lunch with her husband as I write this.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm friends with her husband. Her real name is Stacia Demler and lives in Crestview Fl. Tauscher was her name from her first marriage.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

I found her!!!!! Omg. Or rather, she found me via this post. Her name now is Stacia Demler and the quote was originally published in Readers Digest. This is amazing to solve the mystery after all these years. ..

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home