.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, July 20, 2009

It's our "thing"

Rivers and Obos that is. We build them wherever there are rocks and leave them for nature or other humans to find or destroy.





This is how we spend our days at the river. Building, scooping, swimming, fussing, collecting and laughing. I've spent too much of my life wishing and dreaming, I'm more into DOing now. Because you can use what you've got, rather than waiting for things to change. I don't have a house near the river. I don't have a kayak. I have a truck though, and I have kids that love the water. So we go and in that moment the river is ours as much as it is the earth's and it seems to love us too.



This one likes to try and catch fish. The fish aren't so cooperative...smart things.



Sand, water and rocks are a bit more malleable. Mini dams and rivers make for great fun.





Happy faces, nurtured by the water and trees.



Later, Sierra insists on trying Meringues again. This was her second attempt in her desire to perfect them. Yes, they're eggs from the farm down the road.



We've spent a lot of time trying to come up with a plan for buying property and building a house. We found the property, haven't found the money yet! But that isn't stopping Bleu and Sierra from spending HOURS designing and redesigning, looking at Deltecs, abandoning Deltecs, designing again...and so on. I came home from work two nights ago around 8:30 and they'd been at it since 6pm. I think they finally put it all away around 10:30 or so.

Sierra was delighted to learn about square feet vs. cubed feet and other such things that made me cringe in school. She's drawing designs to scale and loving every minute...I think even the frustration is joy at this point. :)

I laminated sheets of common household furniture and appliances drawn to scale (thanks to the Deltec rep we chatted with at the model home last week) and they had a ball placing them and replacing them on their home designs. Cool stuff! Such is the life of natural learning....things we believed difficult in school are actually fun when the learner chooses it, because of some internal force that guides their interest. Human beings are SO wired to learn. I wish people could see that and trust the process...whether their children are interested in home designs or pokemon. It's all learning. It's all worthy.

Her other current interest is memorizing Jason Mraz songs. Why? Because she's going to the concert and she wants to know the music better! Funny how that motivation stuff works when it's for our very own purposes. :) I do so love this life.



Jared is having his own water adventures, with family and other unschoolers up in the light of far North. Water and obos...it's what we do in the summer.

8 Comments:

Blogger Renee Cabatic said...

we stack rocks too. But I didn't know they were called obos. I just saw them around here in Oregon and fell in love with them. We have come over the sand dunes to find hundreds of them all over the rocks---so cool.
Thanks
great post

1:19 PM  
Blogger laura said...

this is really wonderful stuff!

rivers and obos and architectural drawings!!! oh my!!

i love to do house drawings too...for hours. like "hey mom, feed us" "hey mom, you in there?" "hey mom!!!" i get lost in it. i used to think i would be an architect but i lost my way and desire at some point. scotty told me yesterday while we were out walking..."you could still be an architect." hmmm, what a concept. we never stop learning! although some days i have an overwhelming feeling that i DON'T want to learn ANYTHING. isn't that crazy? it just hits me sometimes. i don't know, maybe whatever it is isn't for me.

i love the concentration in that last picture.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Frogcreek said...

I love the rock sculptures. Next time we spot a river, I think at least, I will give it a try. Perfectly pretty.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

Yep, learning all the time, that's what humans do:) What a cool project for her to do with her dad. Love it! Good luck with that Learning Nothing Day:)

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Helen said...

a wonderful way to pass the time!

4:21 PM  
Blogger gail said...

love this post, Ren. The rock sculptures are so cool and I always enjoy the pictures you take. Deltec homes...I'll check those out...

4:44 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

What wonderful river adventures. Fish catching and rock sculptures. Great memories made there I am sure!
Best wishes

11:36 AM  
Blogger L. J. Lowe said...

the money is coming for your house... i believe it. :D

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home