.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My travelin' kid

While we've been gardening and playing with friends and working and such, Jared has been doing things like climbing "The Butte" in Palmer Alaska:




He ran in his first race this week, a 10k at 10pm called the Midnight Sun Run in Fairbanks. I ran it a few times in High school, once with my Dad and sister Heidi (the same sister with whom Jared is living right now and ran the race again this year, along with my nephews Tristan and Kevin).

He's already changed and I'm not even there to watch it happen. It's cool and a bit strange but I'm really excited about all the amazing things he's doing. Life changing things...though he may not realize it now.

He'll come home full of new experiences and tales to tell. We'll have a few of our own to share. I miss him like crazy but mostly I'm just happy my kids feel free to explore this big, amazing world and take what they need from those experiences. Happy trails.....

3 Comments:

Blogger kelli said...

awwww, that's awesome! I'm so excited for him but I also know how hard it is to have your kids away! Can't wait to hear about all his adventures :)

8:35 AM  
Blogger laura said...

amazing pictures!!! i'm glad we're getting to peek in on him like this through your blog and heidi's. he's sure to have grown in more ways than one!!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

And he helped me make banana bread last night and went to the park with a bunch of Kev's friends and made some new ones himself. He's out doing some yard work for Martin to earn some money and I'm headed out right now to help. Martin took a LOT of trees down on our property so we have to put them in a pile to get ready to chip. We figured out how to make him a room last night so now he has his own room:) He seems to be having fun. Thanks for letting me borrow him, I wish I could borrow all the kids but they will get their turns. Love you!

ps- I will post pics of our trip to Fairbanks later tonight.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home