.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Color puddle....and a Jalenism

It all started innocently enough, with a smallish puddle of water in the driveway, left over from the homemade slip-n-slide on the back hill (think black garden plastic, some garden staples and a running hose) and some sidewalk chalk.





Sidewalk chalk makes lovely color puddles, dontcha know?




Blues and greens....an exercise in analagous color or just plain fun? Methinks it's the fun that matters.:)




There were bubbles nearby, so they get incorporated. Ever heard of keeping plenty of materials available and trusting your children to use them creatively? Forget recipes for potions...they're born potions experts!



Swirling the color puddle around with the bubbles...so satisfying. Pretty too.



Could you have resisted the urge? It looked like a super-fantastic color puddle specially made for jumping.



As it turns out, it was the perfect color puddle for jumping in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My sister asked about another Jalen QOTD, but I'm going to post a Jalen conversation-for-the-day instead. This one was too good to pass up.

It went something like this (and don't ask how it got started...it's a Jalen thing):

"Mom, why do boys have penises and girls have vaginas?"

I think he's wanting the mechanics end of information so I simply dig a little..."Yep, we're built different aren't we?"

"Yeah, I don't know why we have penises and girls have vaginas...penis is a stupid word I like vagina better. I wish I had a vagina instead."

Trying to keep straight face and continue conversation.

"So you want to have a vagina because it's a prettier word?"

"Yeah, it sounds a lot prettier than penis, why can't I have a vagina?"

"Well, the penis is shaped kinda like a rod and a vagina is shaped kinda like a pocket so they can fit together." My not-so-eloquent explanation.

"OH! Well then I DON'T want a vagina. Nevermind!"

End of conversation. Still trying to keep a straight face...which is hard to do when I can see Bleu almost losing it over in the corner. Damn him for leaving me all the interesting conversations at the crucial moments. I think he made some smartass comment about boys not being able to have vaginas because they'd be having sex with themselves all day.

Thanks honey.;)

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a great conversation! I liked Bleu's theory! :)

8:00 PM  
Blogger kelli said...

OMG, we're cracking up over here... lol, nice one Bleu!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

Oh my gosh, I can't quit laughing!! I just absolutely love that kid. When I called this morning I said, "Hi Jalen!" and he goes, "Oh, hi Mom." I love it! After he figured it out he asked, "So.........I suppose you want to talk to my mom?!" I told him that I called to talk to him cause I miss him so much and I need to give him a big KISSEROOOOO!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Heidi Snavley said...

Oh, and thank you for brightening my day, yet again!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger laura said...

holy crap!! that is too funny. vagina envy...who knew.

and you'll have to add those pix of jalen squooshing the cake to this collection. so much yummy gooyness.

7:25 PM  
Blogger piscesgrrl said...

I was gonna comment on the homemade slip-n-slide with a mundane "us too!" until I got to the bottom and read about the whole vagina and 'having sex with themselves all the time' comment and now I'm laughing too hard to concentrate!

9:13 PM  
Blogger The Curious Holts said...

OOoo, any way we could get the "recipe" for making that gorgeous pinata?

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I've been following your web site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home