.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Good stuff






Simple foods are so nourishing to the core on a cool fall day. I love the way our house smells right now, full of baking bread and smoky bean soup scent. I adore the feel of bread being kneaded, cool and smooth beneath my hands, pressing good thoughts into every turn of the dough. I cherish sitting with my family as sun spills onto the table and we chat about how delicious everything tastes and what our plans will be this evening.

Good things in life often center around soup and bread.

On the recently assembled Imagination Tribe recipe book I have a quote: "As the days grow short, some faces grow long. But not mine. Every autumn, when the wind turns cold and darkness comes early, I am suddenly happy. It's time to start making soup again." ~Leslie Newman

And I love this one too:

"Breadbaking is one of those almost hypnotic businesses, like a dance from some ancient ceremony. It leaves you filled with one of the world's sweetest smells...there is no chiropractic treatment, no Yoga exercise, no hour of meditation in a music-throbbing chapel that will leave you emptier of bad thoughts than this homely ceremony of making bread."
M. F. K. Fisher, The Art of Eating

So today, I putzed on the computer and made bread and soup. The kids? They were busy turning the living room into a gargantuan fort, bringing every blanket and pillow in the house out to assist in the project. There are remnants of their play, some leftover bits of blankets that haven't been hauled back to bedrooms yet. We have crumbs on the counter and dirty dishes but we feel so content, all full of soup, bread, writing and play.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago there was a main article in, I think Vegetarian Times magazine about soup and bread from different countries.I have searched for that issue all over my house. I remember making a North African soup, and a bread that may have had anise in it. I think I'm going to have to recreate what I can remember, because I haven't been successful searching the magazine website. Anyway, I can relate to the soup and bread season (which includes knitting and wearing sweaters for me :-))

I made bread yesterday, too. Yum!

~Jill

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home