.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Watermelon soup and other stuff





I posted this at UB last night:

I am sitting here at my computer tonight, catching up on messages and
Jalen walks in with a bowl of...um.....something.
It looks like milk with all sorts of things floating around.

"I made soup Mom!!" he proclaims proudly.
"Really? Tell me about how you made it." I ask.

"Well, it's milk, sugar, tomato, banana soup." he says, and "taste it,
it's good" as he's sticking his finger in and licking it.

We took it out to the kitchen and he told me how good it was and tells
me "I made it all by MYSELF" proudly.
Yep, I definitely would NOT have thought up that particular
combination kiddo!!

Sierra was inspired by his "soup" and is out there making her own batch.
I love the power of self-confidence and the lovely look of joy,
seeping out of the eyes.:)


Addendum: It actually had watermelon and cilantro in it also. All of the above I wrote before Markus came in and said "quit wasting milk!"
ARGH.
"They're USING milk, not wasting it" I gently reminded.
I think he's still annoyed with me. Oh well. I really wish it was easier for people to see how easily joy is squashed by a seemingly innocent comment. I could literally SEE the light go out in their eyes as they paused, looking at me for confirmation.

He left the room after crabbing a bit and I said "It's ok, he's just concerned about money right now" and they proceeded to happily stir and mix and create.
We talked about using powdered milk next time, for experiments, instead of organic milk! It's really quite possible to make requests and share information without stifling the exploration of the moment. The milk was already USED. What good does angst and frustration do for the milk? Nothing. It only sucks they joy from the child.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`



This morning, we're getting ready to go swimming. Jalen's face mask had broken and I was working to fix it. Sierra found a missing piece and we finally got it put back together, much to Jalen's delight. A little while ago (about 1/2 hour after fixing the face mask) he runs up and hugs me and says "thank you for fixing my goggles" then, "and thank you to Sierra for finding the piece".

He's all smiles and hugs as he expresses his gratitude...very sweet. I said "you're just full of thankfulness today aren't you?"
"yeah" he says "that's because my body feels sweet" :)
"you feel all sweet and happy inside?" I ask.
"Yep" he answers.

Sierra says "ooh, you're sweet, yum, yum" and proceeds to pretend eat his arm.
"AAAh, stop eating my sweetness!!" he shreaks, full of joy.
The world (or at least our family) got a dose of Jalen sweetness this morning...it's contagious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Ren, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a dh who gets crabby once in awhile with wasting things! The watermelon soup reminded me of Haley making her "chick-a-dee" soup a few months ago. Cute!

Jalen's sweetness morning is so precious!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Just another mother said...

Not ready for their watermellon soup?
try your own perhaps.

2 pints watermelons, chunks seeded
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 cup granulated sugar, to taste
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream or regular sour cream, aprroximately(about 3 large ordinary soup spoons)
fresh mint leaves, garnish (optional)

Puree watermelon chunks in blender until smooth.
Add vanilla, sugar, and using an ordinary flatware soupspoon, add 3 dollops of sour cream (about 1/2 cup total), blending well.

Taste and add a little more sugar if needed- if you added too much sour cream, you may need a little more watermelon.

Chill overnight and serve garnished with a couple of mint leaves atop each bowl.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

Mmmm..Yummy!
Thanks for the recipe....we'll have to try it soon.:)

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home