.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day

It was a wonderfully, quiet, hang-out together kind of day. My spirit needed this!
Sierra and I spent time playing outside kicking a ball around and chasing each other. Markus joined us for a bit and we wandered the property, checking on living things. Many trees and plants that were mysteries in the winter, have revealed themselved with spring growth. We have some really beautiful trees that came with the house. One of the trees I de-vined is a Tulip Poplar which has the most interesting flowers on it right now.

I spent more time online than usual, that was a nice break too. Our big adventure for the day was a trip into Barnes and Noble. We noticed there is a great outdoor patio behind the Starbucks as we at dessert together. There was a very steep hill and creek, which drew the kids like magnets! Markus hung out with them as they explored, and I got some free time to peruse the magazine racks.

After they exhausted themselves on the hill, we visited the kids area and sat chatting on the floor about a variety of topics. They are such fun people to be around. I'd like them even if they weren't my children!!:) They found one of the Audubon guides on Insects and Spiders. We probably spent at least 1/2 hour looking at pics and reading the descriptions. They LOVED it, so it came home with us. We also picked up Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I figured we really needed to read it since Cameron Lovejoy informed us he's going to marry Stargirl. Sierra's middle name is Star so it's been on our list for a while. ...oh, and Stargirl has a pet rat.

Sierra picked up a little kit that shows you how to make animals from pipe cleaners and Jalen brought home a small bunny puppet. Now he has an entire bunny family to carry everywhere with him. I received many pipe cleaner creations tonight. Jalen brought me a white paper bag twisted up at the top, with his letters written on the front.
"It's a present for you Mom"
"For ME?"
"I writed your name on it"
SO SWEET. It contained one of his pipe cleaner creations, one of the many wonderful gifts from yesterday.

I have a small assortment of them on my computer right now. A few remind me of Imaginary Friends (from a television show). I love these sweet reminders of my children's big hearts and creative minds.

When we were getting dessert, Jared didn't want to order anything because "It's Mother's Day and you're buying US stuff." I explained that it made me happy to see them enjoy something, so his gift to me at that moment would just be accepting the dessert.:) He smiled and said "OK"

They all shared their desserts with each other, with Markus and then we took some home for Trevor who was too busy to leave his computer. They're such generous and kind individuals...it's a joy to behold. Sierra also made me a handmade card and kept saying "this was such a nice day Mom".

Yes it was. I am rich and blessed everyday............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home