.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Sunday, May 07, 2006




Lots of thoughts about birth, death and re-birth lately. Partially inspired by a project that is causing me to examine ideas about death, look up death quotes etc... Good stuff. The next tattoo I have planned, includes the Celtic Triscele which symbolizes "three's". One of the "three's" it symbolizes is the idea of birth, death and re-birth.

Some of this swirled up because of the painting "metamorphis" that is sitting in my room. It was the focus of a recent article printed in "Live Free, Learn Free" titled Unschooling with the Muse.
I've had a dilemna about what to do with this painting. I thought it was resolved with new colors. ...but that was just a step in her journey. I've realized today, that Metamorphis came into my life at a time when *I* was being "birthed" in a sense. I was pregnant with my last baby, walking into authenticity and my true self. There was a very real death to the past, to old thought, to ideas that were not serving me well and keeping me from the authentic life.

It's her turn to die now...Metamorphis is going to be cut into many pieces. In her re-birth she will become ATC's, Altered books and other items to be shared with the world. She served her purpose and now it's time to enter the painting/canvas afterlife.:)

Something about this feels very right, but part of me is mourning the loss of the painting that never found it's place completely. She came along to help me through some healing. This painting symbolized so much for me, but it's time to let go. As I think about the death and re-birth of this painting, I can't help but think about the seeds that are planted when we die. The gifts we leave behind can be spread far and wide, in a variety of incarnations.
There's a bittersweet peace about all that, a feeling of loss and wholeness all at once.
The cycles continues....
there are other paintings waiting to be born. I have a feeling that saying goodbye to Metamorphis is going to help the others become reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home