.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Day off






It rained most of today, but cleared up this evening just in time for a walk around downtown Johnson City with some new friends (a co-worker and her husband) for "First Friday". Nelson Fine Art had an eclectic assortment of art, including work by students. I reserved a magical earthenware tree , with a Tim Burton look about it. I was just waiting for a wee gnome to peek out of the hole in the center.
We browsed around, then stopped in at "Picasso's" for some Jazz, dessert and wine. Ran into some other co-workers there. Starting to feel like part of the community again.:)

Earlier, while I was running around with the kids to pick up some video games and such, I had NPR on. There was a stunningly original song playing, I turned it up. The second song by this artist was even better and afterwards there was a short interview with her. Amy Steinberg was her name, and she's playing in Johnson City Sunday night. I couldn't believe the timing. Her music is unique, bold, positive and gutsy. I can't wait!

One of her songs reflected a truth I repeat to people quite often about the fact that we are all born and we all die. Life is a story. We know how it begins; we are born. We know how it ends; it's a tragedy, you DIE. But the in between part is all up to us and we can choose to make it really great or just coast along half-asleep. If you go to her "MySpace" profile you can listen to "Run don't walk". "Exactly" was the song that I fell in love with on the radio.

In the interview, she talks about all that frenetic energy of performing and being on the road. She creates a lot of visual art as an outlet for that energy. I really felt I could relate to the part about needing art to release frenetic energy!! Art and writing keep me sane some days. That and coffee or melatonin (depending on the need). Ah, but sanity is highly overrated.;)

We got Jalen some new shoes after the video game stop. He's running everywhere now and telling us how fast they make him. I remember a time when I truly believed that. Ok, I guess I still do...because everytime I get new running shoes I FEEL faster. I just know it's the shoes...right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home