.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next
Live and Learn Blogs
Join | List | Previous | Next

Visit Radical Unschooler's Network

Learning in Freedom

Welcome to Learning in Freedom, a blog all about the learning adventures (and mishaps) of the Allen family. My four children are unschooled, following their interests and passions every day and living the lives of their choosing. The purpose of this blog is to share our every day lives (and my not-so-humble opinons) with anyone interested in stopping by. We hope this will give a glimpse of how natural learning unfolds from day to day......

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

An unschooler at heart

Steve Irwin was a huge inspiration (and great source of entertainment) for our entire family. We were deeply saddened to hear of his death on September 4th. We never met the guy, he didn't know we existed, but the world is a bit darker for his passing. I felt that through the screen, we got to see what Steve Irwin was all about...it wasn't the animals, it was his passion for LIFE, his zeal for what he loved that made him so incredible.

I grabbed this Steve Irwin quote that LeaAnn put up at her blog:

~"And so I've been asked about philosophies of fatherhood and how to be a good parent and all that, and to tell you the truth, mate, all I do is just treat her exactly how I would want to be treated. She wants to have chocolate, Mum's not looking - "Here, have the whole block." And you know what? It works out. She's not a chubby, little, fat chocolate freak kid." -Steve Irwin~

Yep, seems he had the heart of an unschooler.

4 Comments:

Blogger kelli said...

Oh man, what a cool guy.

I felt the loss too as I watched the news.

We will miss him.

1:44 PM  
Blogger LeaAnn said...

I have that same quote on my blog. Must be that unschooling thinking.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Ren Allen said...

You know what? I'm a total goober! It was YOUR blog I swiped it from, not Zenmomma! I was blog surfing and obviously mixed you guys up.:) Going back in to edit now........

Oh, and I added your blog to the Unschooling Basics links section. If you want a different description let me know.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were so sad about it, too. I can't tell you how many times I've cried for the loss to the world since he died. I'd say he's first and foremost the reason why my DD is so in love with animals.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home